|History of Notre Dame High School|
Notre Dame High School is situated in the Fulwood area of the city in 20 acres of ground, which includes Smith Wood, believed to have been once part of Sherwood Forest. It was here that Mark Firth, famous son of the city of Sheffield, steel manufacturer, philanthropist, Lord Mayor, Master Cutler, built his dream mansion in 1860. His mansion became an Officers’ Convalescent Home in the First World War, a convent in 1919 and a Sixth Form Centre in 1988.
The school’s history goes back even further than the Firth estate. It was in 1855 that the Sisters of Notre Dame came to Sheffield from Liverpool to set up a much needed school for girls in the city centre. The school was established in Holy Green House on the Moor, now replaced by a busy shopping centre. In 1862, the school was moved to Cavendish Street where it developed and expanded to such an extent that further space was required for the many girls who sought admission. The Sisters moved their living quarters to Oakbrook in 1919, leaving more room for classrooms and in 1935 built another secondary school in the extensive grounds. This remained a separate school until amalgamation was recommended in 1948. In 1976 the school changed its status from that of a girls grammar school to become a mixed comprehensive. Cavendish Street housed the lower school until 1988 when the Victorian buildings were finally vacated and later demolished by the new owners.
To accommodate the whole school on the Oakbrook site, extensive internal improvements were made. New buildings were erected, including a fine Sports Hall and three additional Science Laboratories.
1995 was a year of celebration for Notre Dame High School:
Together with the Sisters of Notre Dame we celebrated the 150th anniversary of the establishment of their order in England.
the award of Investor in People;
In 1998 we opened new and refurbished changing rooms and two all weather sports pitches.
In 2000 , the school received excellent report following a short inspection in May. Shortly afterwards Notre Dame High School was invited to become a Beacon School and named by HMCI as an “outstanding school”.
Hallam City Learning Centre, a centre of IT excellence for the community of South West Sheffield and its schools was opened in 2003. Notre Dame was rated "outstanding" by Ofsted and in 2005 and 2008.
The school retains contact with the Sisters of Notre Dame, who are still represented on the school’s governing body, and regularly gives thanks for the work done by them for Catholic education in Sheffield for almost 150 years.