There are two types of bursary, the ‘Guaranteed’ and ‘Partial’.
To qualify for the ‘Guaranteed £1,200 Bursary’ the young person must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- In Care
- A care leaver
- In receipt of Income Support (this must be the student).
- A disabled young person in receipt of both Employment Support Allowance and Disability Living Allowance
Other students may qualify for a ‘Partial bursary’. The criteria for this are:
- To be in receipt of Free School Meals (FSM) ie to have a household income below the FSM qualifying criteria of £16,190
The amount of financial support students will receive from the partial bursary fund is not yet decided. It is dependent upon the number of students applying from Sheffield School Sixth Forms and Special Schools.
Students who become eligible for the bursary during the academic year can still apply for support.
The assessment for eligibility through Free School Meals will be checked by the Local Authority (LA).
If any further financial evidence is needed the LA will contact the applicant’s parent(s) to request income details.
Making the application: Procedures for Students
- Complete the application form, providing proof of your bank account ( a copy bank statement or letter from their bank showing the following):
Sort Code Name
- Make a claim for known and likely costs, as required on the front page of the application form. The school will provide guidance on likely costs. You will only receive financial support for those activities and resources that are essential for your courses. Optional activities / resources may not be funded.
- The form must be stamped with the school stamp to confirm the student is in attendance at Notre Dame.
- Send the application to:
Floor 3, Howden House
1 Union Street, Sheffield S1 2SH
The LA will then approve or reject the application and inform the student and the school of the decision.
Receipt of the 'Partial' Bursary Fund will be dependent on students meeting part 2 of the school's Sixth Form Learning Agreement see below:
Learning progress will be assessed as follows for the 'discretionary element' of the Bursary Fund.
1. Against the learning goals set out in my school learning agreement, plus
• gain 1 or 2 in subject monitoring
• no unauthorized absences or late arrivals
• full attendance at Core RE lessons and alternative curriculum days
2. On the completion of relevant course work and assignments on time and to the best of my ability.
3. On attendance at all exams associated with my course.
4. On following the attendance procedure by calling school on each day of absence before 10.00am and completing an absence notification form ON THE FIRST DAY OF MY RETURN.
a) I understand and accept that any payments that I may be entitled to as specified in this agreement may be withheld at any time if the terms of the agreement are not met. As part of those terms I agree to notify the school about any absence and the reasons for it before or by 10.00am on the first and every subsequent day of absence.
b) Pages 3 and 4 of this document form Part 2 of your contract. You must satisfactorily meet the conditions of the Student Agreement to qualify for Bonus Payments.
c) I also understand that payments are also dependent on my standard of behaviour. I must ensure that my standard of behaviour matches the expectations outlined in section E (overleaf) and that I abide by the school rules.
Students receiving any financial support will be paid at the end of every month through the identified bank account.
Claims will be back dated to September for eligible students. No payments will be authorised until students are confirmed on their courses through the School Census after week 6 of the school term.
This guidance has been provided by:
Children Young People and Families
Floor 3, Howden House
1 Union Street
Sheffield S1 2SH
Tel: 0114 27 35479 Email:
click to download